Taarab, bongo flava, and more.
- Africa: The Garland Encyclopedia of World Music, edited by Ruth Stone, Vol. I, Pg. 293-326, 2001.
- Cultured States: Youth, Gender, and Modern Style in 1960s Dar Es Salaam by Andrew Ivaska, 2011.
- Taraab Music in Zanzibar in the Twentieth Century: A Story of ‘Old Is Gold’ and Flying Spirits by Janey Topp Fargion, 2016.
- East African Hip-Hop: Youth Culture and Globalization by Mwenda Ntarangwi, 2019.
- “Musical Instruments in Kiganda Tradition and Their Place in the East African Scene” by K. Waschmann, Essays on Music and History in Africa, Pg. 93–135, 1971.
- “Black Musicians and Early Ethiopian Minstrelsy” by T. Allston Brown and Charles Day, The Black Perspective in Music, Vol. 3, No. 1, 1975.
- “Zemenawi Muzika: Modern Trends in Traditional Secular Music of Ethiopia” by Ashenafi Kebede, The Black Perspective in Music, Vol. 4, No. 3, 1976.
- “Brass Bands and the Beni Phenomenon in Urban East Africa” by S.H. Martin, Journal of the International Library of African Music, Vol. 8, 1991.
- “Rumba in the City of Peace: Migration and the Cultural Commodity of Congolese Music in Dar Es Salaam, 1968–1985” by Alex Perullo, Ethnomusicology Vol. 52, No. 2, 2008.
- “Inventing East African Hip-Hop: Youth and Musical Convergence in East Africa” by George Gathigi, Music, Performance and African Identities, Pg. 35–48, 2012.
- “Live from Dar es Salaam; Popular Music and Tanzania's Music Economy” by Alex Perullo, Popular Music, Vol. 33, No. 2, May 2014.
- “DJ Rachael Wants to See More Women in Ugandan Dance Music” by Alice McCool, Noisey, June 2017.
- “Meet the Kenyan Collective Bridging the Gap Between Traditional and Electronic Music” by Gregory Cowles, FADER, July 2017.
- “5 East African Musicians You Need To Know” by Alice McCool, Dazed, September 2017.
- “How Orchestre Les Mangelepa Changed the Course of East African Music” by Megan Iacobini de Fazio, Bandcamp Daily, November 2017.
- “The Hot New Musical Trend In Zanzibar Is From The '80s — The 1880s” by Amy Yee, NPR, September 2018.
- “How East African Musicians Are Making Money Today" by Kam Tambini, OkayAfrica, June 2020.
- "What Kenyan Artists Need to Make it On the World Stage" by Zuva Rangu, Amaka, May 2021.
- “‘If We Vibe, We Work Together’: An Interview With Mejja” by Leonel Manzanares de la Rosa, Passion Of The Weiss, March 2022.
- “How Drill Soundtracks Life for Kenyan Youth” by Frank L’Opez, VICE, March 2022.
- “Black First: Coco Em’s Empowering Dance Music Is Uplifting East African Femme Artists” by Becky Buckle, Mixmag, July 2022.
- “Meaning and Multiplicity: Complexity and Play in Tanzanian Hip-Hop” by David Kerr, Pg. 364–383, May 2022.
FILMS & SERIES
FILMS & SERIES
- Heartbeat of Africa, 1973. 29m.
- Journey Through Eden, 1974. 29m.
- Kuumba: Simon’s New Sound, 1979. 8m.
PODCASTS & RADIO
PODCASTS & RADIO
- “The Nyege Nyege Villa - East African Hub of Electronic Underground Music” by Basile Koechlin, Afropop Worldwide, June 2022.
- “The Rise of Hip-Hop in Malawi” by Afropop Worldwide, July 2022. 23m.