Alternative, ambient, noise & avant-garde
- More Brilliant Than the Sun: Adventures in Sonic Fiction by Kodwo Eshun, 1998.
- “Dig They Freedom: Meditations on History and the Black Avant-Garde” by Robin D.G. Kelley, Lenox Avenue: A Journal of Interarts Inquiry, Vol. 3, 1997.
- “Interview: James Ferraro And His Music Multiverse” by Red Bull Music Academy, March 2012.
- “Q&A: Matthew Shipp On His Early New York Days, Getting Shit for Paying Electronics, And Black Music Disaster” by Brad Cohan, The Village Voice, July 2012.
- “Lonnie Holley, the Insider's Outsider” by Mark Binelli, The New York Times, January 2014.
- “An Introduction to NON Worldwide” by Kevin Lozano, RBMA Daily, May 2016.
- “Jon Bap Grounds His Debut in a Different Beat” by Sowmya Krishnamurthy, The Village Voice, July 2016.
- “Moor Mother: Hardcore Poet” by Jenn Pelly, Pitchfork, October 2016.
- “‘I’m Not Trying to do a Beat Thing’: An Interview with Dedekind Cut FKA Lee Bannon” by Jeff Weiss, Passion of the Weiss, November 2016.
- “James Ferraro and Mall Aesthetics” by Robert Grunenberg, SSENSE, December 2016.
- “The Artful Dissonance of Chino Amobi” by Chris Kelly, Bandcamp Daily, May 2017.
- “Oxbow's Violent Art Rock Is a Meta-Commentary on Masculinity” by Ben Handelman, NOISEY, May 2017.
- “The Emergence of A New Black Avant-Garde: Experimental Music and Text” by Cisco Bradley, Brooklyn Rail, July-August 2017.
- “The Omnivorous Mind of Pamela Z” by Mark MacNamara, San Francisco Classical Voice, August 2017.
- “Meet Klein: the visionary producer making music out of noise” by Olamiju Fajemisin, gal-dem, August 2017.
- “Racial Biases in the “Avant-Garde”: Who Gets to Be Called 'Experimental' Has a Lot to Do With Skin Tone” by April Fisher, AFROPUNK, March 2018.
- “JPEGMAFIA is the out-of-pocket rap rebel the world needs right now” by Briana Younger, The FADER, April 2018.
- “Lonnie Holley's Glorious Improvisations” by Amanda Petrusich, The New Yorker, October 2018.
- “Do Not Seek For Things Outside Yourself: The Compositional Journey of Tyshawn Sorey” by George Grella, Brooklyn Rail, October 2018.
- “Nkisi Is the Genre-Defying Artist Fusing Trance-Inducing Rhythms with African Cosmology” by Ben Murphy, DJ Mag, January 2019.
- “Seven Steps to Perfection: A Guide Towards the Afrofuture in Music” by Alex Smith, Bandcamp Daily, February 2019.
- “Jessica Ekomane Experiments with Psychoacoustics on ‘Common Fate’” by Henry Bruce-Jones, Fact Mag, February 2019.
- “Avant-Garde Jazz and Black Rights Activism in 1960s Cleveland, Ohio: An Interview With Mutawaf A Shaheed” by Pierre Crépon and Richard J Koloda, The Wire, March 2019.
- “The Shape-Shifting Music of Tyshawn Sorey” by Alex Ross, The New Yorker, April 2019.
- “Xroads Praxis: Black Diasporic Technologies for Remaking the New World (on Matana Roberts)” by Jessica Marie Johnson, Archipelagos Journal, Issue 3, July 2019.
- “Radical rapper Jpegmafia: 'Black people have things to be mad about'” by Sheldon Pearce, The Guardian, October 2019.
- “The Art of Letting Go: An Interview With Forest Management” by Audrey Lockie, SLUG Mag, November 6th, 2019.
- “Aho Ssan ~ Simulacrum” by postrokcafe, A Closer Listen, February 4th, 2020
- “Gospel For A New Century: The Sublime Distortion Of Yves Tumor” by Michael Appouh, The Quietus, April 2020
- “The Music That Made Laraaji” by Isabelia Herrera, Pitchfork, August 2020.
- “Between Tribute and Transformation: Negotiating the Expressive and Ethical Dynamics of Experimental Afro-Brazilian Song” by James McNally, Ethnomusicology, Vol. 64, No. 3, Fall 2020.
- “Suzi Analogue Wants Black Women in Experimental Music to Never Compromise” by Marcus J. Moore, The New York Times, January 2021.
- “The Composer Tyshawn Sorey Enters A New Phase” by Adam Shatz, New York Times, January 2021.
- “Meet KMRU, the Ambient Musician With His Ear to the World” by Philip Sherburne, Pitchfork, April 2021.
- “KMRU: Ways of Hearing” by Tayyab Amin, Crack Magazine, June 14, 2021
- “Julius Eastman’s Florid Minimalism” by Alex Ross, New Yorker, July 2021.
- “Fire Music” by Geeta Dayal, 4Columns, September 2021.
- “Moor Mother on Collaboration, Community, and the Power of Sampling” by Jordan Darville, The Fader, September 2021.
- “Sound Propositions 019: KMRU” by Joseph Sannicandro, A Closer Listen, August 20, 2022
PODCASTS & RADIO
PODCASTS & RADIO
- “Episode 124, Tyshawn Sorey” by 5049 Records, July 2017. 1hr 10m
- “Archie Shepp: Activist of the Avant-Garde” by Broken Record, June 2021. 46m.
- “Crucial Listening #24: Matana Roberts” by ATTN: Magazine, April 2018. 52m.
- “Crucial Listening #77: Marshall Trammell” by ATTN: Magazine, May 2019. 58m.
- “Episode 165, Patrick Holmes” by 5049 Records, June 2018. 1hr 31m.
- “Episode 151, James Brandon Lewis” by 5049 Records. February 2018. 1hr 11m.
- “Episode 126, Fay Victor” by 5049 Records. August 2017. 1hr 11m.
- “Episode 115, Luke Stewart” by 5049 Records. May 2017. 1hr 20m.
- “Episode 106, Lester St. Louis” by 5049 Records. March 2016. 1hr 4m.
- “RA.761 Forest Management” by Resident Advisor, January 2021. 1hr 18m.
FILMS & SERIES
FILMS & SERIES
- “The Untold Story of Noise and Experimental Music (feat. Dreamcrusher)” by PBS Soundfield, October 2020. 13m.