Continental, multi-regional, and diasporic texts.
- African Rhythm and African Sensibility: Aesthetics and Social Action in African Musical Idioms by J.M. Chernoff, 1979.
- The Healing Drum: African Wisdom Teachings by Mitchell Hall and Yaya Diallo, 1989.
- Africa and the Blues by Gerhard Kubik, 1999.
- The African Epic Controversy: Historical, Philosophical and Aesthetic Perspectives on Epic Poetry and Performance by M.M. Mulokozi, 2002.
- Music Is the Weapon of the Future: Fifty Years of African Popular Music by Frank Tenaille, 2002.
- Freedom Sounds: Civil Rights Call out to Jazz and Africa by Ingrid Monson, 2007.
- Africa Speaks, America Answers: Modern Jazz in Revolutionary times by R.D. Kelly, 2012.
- Chinua Achebe and Fela Anikulapo Kuti: Revolutionary Consciousness in Music and Literature by P. Chuka Nwafor, 2013.
- Africa in Stereo: Modernism, Music, and Pan-African Solidarity by T.E. Jaji, 2014.
- Heavy Metal Africa: Life, Passion and Heavy Metal in the Forgotten Continent by Edward Banchs, 2016.
FILMS & SERIES
FILMS & SERIES
- Music of Africa, dir. Fela Sowande, 1963. 30m.
- African Soul: Music, Past and Present, 1971. 17m.
- Africa Calls: Its Drums and Musical Instruments, 1971. 23m.
- The Dancing Lion, An African Folktale, dir. Andrew T.N. Tracey, 1978. 11m.
- Mapandangare, the Great Baboon, 1978. 10m.
- Tango Negro: The African Roots of Tango, dir. by Dom Pedro, July 2013.
- SanDance!, dir. Richard Wicksteed, 2019. 60m
PODCASTS & RADIO
PODCASTS & RADIO
- “Time Travel Through Afro-Paris” by Afropop Worldwide, January 2019. 59m.
- “Afro-Tech: Stories of Synths in African Music” by Afropop Worldwide, February 2020. 59m.
- “Accounting for Taste: Dire Straits, Jim Reeves, and Death Metal in Africa” by Afropop Worldwide, April 2020, 59m.
- “Early African Musicians in Europe” by Professor J. Southern, The Black Perspective, Vol. 1, No. 2, Pg. 166–168, 1973.
- “The Vibrant Intensity of Traditional African Music” by Francis Bebey, The Black Perspective in Music, Vol. 2, No. 2, Pg. 117–121, 1974.
- “Fugitive Notes on Notation and Terminology in African Music” by Samuel Ekpe Akpabot, The Black Perspective in Music, Vol. 4, No. 1, pg. 39–45, 1976.
- “The Artistic Challenge of African Music: Thoughts on the Absence of Drum Orchestras in Black American Music” by J.M. Chernoff, Black Music Research Journal, Vol. 5, No. 1, Pg. 1–20, 1985.
- “Is African Music Possible?” by Abiola Irele, Transition 61, Pg. 56–71, 1993.
- “The Liberation of African Music” by Doris Green, African Cultural Dimensions, Vol. 8, No. 2, Pg. 149-167, 1997.
- “African Music, Ideology, and Utopia” by Nick Nesbitt, Research In African Literatures, Vol. 32, No. 2, Pg. 175–186, 2001.
- “Rhythms of Culture: Djembe and African Memory in African-American Cultural Traditions” by Tanya Price, Black Music Research Journal, Vol. 33, No.2, pg. 227–247, 2013.
- “Afrobeat(s): The Difference a Letter Makes” by Robin Scher, Huffington Post, August 2015.
- “Was the Love Song Invented in Africa and the Middle East?” by Ted Gioia, The Daily Beast, April 2017.
- “Festac ’77” by Uchenna Ikonne, Red Bull Music Academy, May 2017.
- “How African Med Students Created A New Genre of Cuban Music” by Rawiya Kameir, The Outline, May 2017.
- “The Story of Noirwave, Africa’s Pioneering Punk Movement” by Alexandra Genova, December 2018.
- “How the UK’s African Diaspora Came to Dominate the Country’s Music Scene” by Lakeisha Goedluck, Highsnobiety, July 2019.
- “A Guide to African Country Music” by Jesse Jarnow, Bandcamp Daily, September 2019.
- “The Industry Has Failed To Acknowledge The Complexities Of African Music” by Robin Murray, Clash, February 2021.
- “After the Scramble: It’s Time to Return to Africa’s Vinyl Records” by Vik Shone, Africa Is A Country, March 2021.
- “How A New Generation of African Women Are Redefining Afropop” by Ify Obi, Billboard, March 2022.
- “Is Billboard’s Afrobeats Chart Good for Afrobeats?” By Shamira Ibrahim, Vulture, March 2022.
- “The Afrobeats Bandwagon” by Samantha Ofori, Amaka, November 2022.